Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Sacred Poetry

Dear Neighbor,

One of the main themes in the Psalms of David is deliverance from his enemies. This morning I read Psalms 3-5 and this theme was in all three of these Psalms. What is a Psalm? A Psalm is a sacred song. However, I do not think of the Psalms of David in terms of music but in terms of poetry. 

I have a confession. I love poetry, especially the Psalms, but I do not enjoy the beginning of a worship service with the singing and guitar playing because I am not a musical person. I often spend the time reading the lyrics because they are poetry and think about what they are saying. I do not agree with the theology of all the songs song in church today; therefore, I do not consider them to be sacred songs.

The Psalms however are sacred but not song today as they may have been in the days of David the king of Israel. They are Scripture written for us that we might know how to pray. Most often the Psalms are in the form of a prayer to God and the theme in these three are praying to the Lord God for deliverance from David’s enemies.

Sin and death are our biggest enemies and these were defeated when the Lord Jesus Christ died on a cross for our sins and was buried and was raised from the dead on the third day. 

This is already but not yet! So hold on to the Lord Jesus Christ by faith. “The righteous man shall live by faith.” (Romans 1:17)

Michael Peek
Your Servant for Jesus’ Sake