Thursday, August 12, 2021

Anguish and Judging

Dear Neighbor,

This morning I read Job 3-4; Job lamented his life and wished that he was never born, and his friend Eliphaz reminds Job of the theology of that day, “the innocent do not suffer.” I confess that I have both felt as Job and thought as Eliphaz. My life is not what I thought that it would be an I am often in anguish and I have counseled others when not understanding their situation.

I am in my 24th year as a Registered Nurse and have spent the majority of that time in the Cardiovascular Intensive Care Unit. I have seen so much pain, suffering, anger, death and sorrow. All of this weighs me down and effects my continence and emotion. I am normally able to deal with this through the Lord and stepping away on my days off into my own household, but like Job, much has been taken away during the past two years. Do not misunderstand, I am not lamenting the day of my birth or wishing that I were dead, but I have a great deal of anguish and sorrow in my heart about the present; therefore, I can understand Job’s lamenting his life and not judge him for his sorrow.

On the other hand, I believe that none are righteous, that none understand, that none seek for God, that no one is good. Therefore, I can understand Eliphaz’ point of view when not understanding the truth about what has happened to Job, not understanding the anguish that is in Job’s heart. Eliphaz the Temanite believed that he was rightly admonishing Job, but he did not know the real reason for Job’s plight, nor did he understand the anguish that Job was going through.

Michael Peek
Your Servant for Jesus’ Sake