Sunday, August 1, 2021

Lord’s Day: August 1, 2021

Dear Neighbor,

This is the day that the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it. We are to rejoice, not in our circumstances, but we are to have joy in the Lord Jesus Christ because he has redeemed us from death unto life. The promise of God is eternal life and the life is in his Son, the Lord Jesus Christ, who died, who was buried, who rose again, who ascended, who will come to judge the earth. All honor and glory belong to God our Farther, and the Lord Jesus Christ.

I have been asked to teach a lesson in our Sunday morning Bible Study. I am currently reading A. W. Pinks, The Gospel of John. In that book, Pink said: 
The Bible teacher who becomes a substitute for diligent study on the part of those who hear him is a hindrance and not a help. The business of the teacher is to turn people to the searching of the Scriptures for themselves, stimulating their interest in the Sacred Word, and instructing them how to go about it. 
Therefore, I plan to write a lesson plan that turns people to searching the Scriptures for themselves, stimulates their interest in the Sacred Word and instructs them how to go about it.

Last week I completed 20 continues years of employment at my job. I work in the Cardiovascular Intensive Care Unit, in the Louis and Peaches Owen Heart Hospital, at Christus Trinity Mother Frances, in Tyler, Texas. This is not my first job as a nurse, I have been a Registered Nurse for almost 24 years; however, it is where I have spent the vast majority of my nursing life. The majority of the nurses on this unit are in their twenties and early thirties; which means, I have been on this unit for most of their lives. When I completed 20 continues years of service, an automatic computer system sent me a message that read: “Congratulations on 20 years.”
 
As you can see, I copied the message for this post. No one from hospital administration, nor management, nor staff on the unit recognized my anniversary. My anniversary went by without human interest. This causes me to think about why I am a nurse. I am a nurse for three reasons:
  1. I am a nurse to honor God our Father.
  2. I am a nurse to exalt Jesus Christ.
  3. I am a nurse to seek the good of my neighbor.
Jesus said, “‘YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND.’ This is the great and foremost commandment. The second is like it, ‘YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.’” (Mt. 22:37-39) The Lord was quoting from the Old testament Law: Deuteronomy 6:5 and Leviticus 19:18 to answer an expert in the Law, who asked: “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” (Mt. 22:36) Jesus answered the man’s question but gave him more than he asked for. It is easy to say that we love God but we demonstrate our love for God by loving the people created in the image of God. (cf. 1 John 4:20)
If someone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for the one who does not love his brother whom he has seen, cannot love God whom he has not seen.
Jesus told the Lawyer, “On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets.” (Mt. 22:40) Loving God, as he has been revealed to us in the Scriptures, and loving our neighbor as ourselves.

Michael Peek
Your Servant for Jesus’ Sake