Wednesday, August 25, 2021

COVID-19 Vaccine

Dear Neighbor,

I do not watch any of the 24 hour news networks because I do not like the politicizing done on those networks. Even my patients associate themselves with what 24 hour news network that they watch. I believe that these channels are a plague on the American society. They have transformed these United States into a politically divided nation. Even something as important as healthcare has become political and is divided. I would like to take the opportunity this morning to encourage you to get the COVID-19 vaccine and I assure you that my plea has nothing whatsoever to do with American politics. My concern is for your life and the lives of those around you. 

The hospital that I work at is becoming overwhelmed with persons infected with COVID-19. I could tell you the numbers, but I probably should not, nor do I believe that the numbers would open your eyes. I can say that the situation is dire and many people are in trouble. I am in my 24th year as a bedside Registered Nurse and I have never seen anything like this. I have never seen so many people this sick at one time. I have never seen so many people on ventilators at one time. I have seen a lot of death in my career but nothing compares to the present.

The hospital that I work at had three large Intensive Care Units. In just a two week period of time we have had to expand to six large Intensive Care Units and all of the beds are filled. Many of the nurses caring for persons on ventilators and vasoactive I.V. drips have never done so before. Many nurses have had to become ICU nurses overnight.

With all of this said, you do not want COVID-19 and you really do not want to give it to someone else who could potentially need to be hospitalized, then possibly need to be on a ventilator, and then possibly die on a ventilator in the hospital. The greatest numbers of persons being admitted are in their 30’s, 40’s, and 50’s. These are not old people or people with all kinds of chronic illnesses. These are the average workers and population of our area. 

I speak as both a Registered Nurse and a Theologian. There is nothing in Scripture whatsoever that would forbid anyone from receiving a vaccine. However, there is much in Scripture about wisdom and wisdom is telling me that everyone should be vaccinated, if not for oneself, for ones neighbor be vaccinated.

Michael Peek
Your Servant for Jesus’ Sake