Monday, August 9, 2021

Indwelling Desire

Dear Neighbor,

It is my desire to honor the Lord in all that I think, in all that I say and in all that I do, but I am unable in my flesh. I am not perfect as my heavenly Father is perfect. (Mt. 5:48) Just as the apostle Paul in Romans 8:18, “For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh; for the willing is present in me, but the doing of the good is not.”

I believe that I have been justified, as a gift, by the grace of God, through faith in Jesus Christ. There is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. I have nothing to worry about because my future is in the resurrection of the body and the life everlasting.

However, I groan, longing for the coming day of the Lord. That I may be clothed with a heavenly body, a perfect body, but now I have the Spirit as a down payment on what is to come. It is as if I have two natures. One nature desires to please God and the other desires to please self.

I am groaning more and more for the return of the Lord Jesus Christ, for all things to be made right. I am groaning at work over all of the human suffering, death and sorrow. It is as though intensive care nursing has become more difficult. Is it more difficult or is it the inner man, desiring for something better? 

I do not know, but I do know that my desire is to be made perfect, as our heavenly Father is perfect. And I desire to live in a world without sin, suffering, death nor sorrow. The perfect land seems so far away, yet it lies before us, it is just over the horizon, it is in the Lord Jesus Christ.

Michael Peek
Your Servant for Jesus’ Sake