Saturday, February 8, 2020

February 8th, 2020

Today, though it be Saturday, I arose at 4:30am that I may read Scripture before going to work, for it is my turn to work on the unit ambulating postoperative patients. I will be at work today from 7:00am to 12:30pm ambulating people who just this week had heart surgery or lung surgery. Reading: 2 Samuel chapters 8 – 11, the Israelites defeat of the Philistines, the subduing of Moab and the battle with Ammon; also, Davids sin with Bathsheba and the murder of Uriah. Recitation: John chapter 16, the Lord encourages the disciples before his arrest. In these two text we have David thinking only of himself and Christ thinking of his disciples. Who should be emulated? The answer is Christ but to do so a man must die to self. To be a servant of others is to deny self. Denying self is probably the most difficult thing that a person can do. Christ died for our sins. He gave up his life that we who have sinned against God might live. The wages for sin is death and he promised to save us from death and grant to us eternal life in his Father’s kingdom. Not only that, through faith in him we become children of God. Yesterday, I worked in Pulmonary rehab from 9:00am – 3:30 pm. Pulmonary rehab is slow paced because the exercise tolerance of people with lung diseases is low. They must have rest breaks in-between exercise modalities and the later half of the class involves chairs with instruction and very light weights. After work I cross trained: 20 minutes on a stationary bike and 20 minutes on an elliptical trainer, each at a moderate effort. It is my norm to do a long run on Saturday morning but I cannot today; therefore, my plan is to do that tomorrow morning. Yesterday, I received coins in the mail that have the Ten Commandments printed on one side of the coin and the gospel on the other. The font is very small but I hope to use them as a conversation starter and not a tract in place of conversation.