Tuesday, February 18, 2020

February 19th, 2020

Luke investigated everything carefully that was handed down from the eyewitnesses and servants of the word. Luke wrote his gospel account in consecutive order. Luke made this address to someone named Theophilus, telling him that he wrote this way so that he may know the exact truth about the things accomplished. (Luke 1:1-4) However, not all of Scripture is written that way; in fact, most of Scripture is not written in consecutive order. “Israel’s record of history was not intended to be a record of events but a record of the ways in which God had acted in history.” (IVP BBC OT) I am bring up this point because I will be journaling about things accomplished in consecutive order but I am more concerned with recording the ways God is acting. I am posting what I write early in the morning after I have spent time reading Scripture; therefore, the title reflects the day on which the material is posted, not the day on which the events written about occurred. However, the thoughts and events that I write in this journal will have occurred since the previous posting. The events and thoughts that I write in this journal may be in consecutive order but not necessarily. I will, however, attempt to always honor God (Father and Son and Holy Spirit) with what I write. Attempt is the correct verb because only Jesus Christ was able to glorify God in the flesh. 

I am currently working on lesson 2 of the beginner I – Course 3 – Spanish program that I have been working on since returning from Cuba this past September. These lessons are really beginning to build on one another and are becoming more complicated and lengthy. Early on, I had no problem going through a lesson while eating breakfast before work but the lessons that I am doing now are often 3 times the length of the earlier lessons and the content takes more thought. I am staying with the plan and will continue not counting a lesson complete until I answer all questions in a lesson 100% correct in a single go through. I departed for work shortly before 7:00am and used the drive to practice reciting the prolog to the gospel of John in Spanish. Thus far, I have memorized through verse 13. I thought about stopping there but when I set out, I planned to memorize the entire prolog which I believe goes through verse 18. I think that next week I will begin memorizing verse 14. 

I was in the cardiac/pulmonary rehab depart from 7:30am – 11:30am; therefore, I had a short day and used that to do a good tempo run in my neighborhood. 5 minute warmup jog – 20 minutes at 7 minutes and 20 seconds per mile (15km goal pace) – 6 minute cool-down jog. It was an enjoyable workout, competed while the temperature was warm and the air was dry. A cold front came through shortly after I competed the workout. I have been reading the book What did Jesus Do? By author Ray Comfort. Comfort takes a look at the methods used by Jesus, Paul, Stephen, Peter, James and John the Baptist before suggesting What Can You Do? So far, I have read though James and I am enjoying this book because the method of Law to the proud and grace to the humble is biblical. (Cf. Jam 4:6) 

Darlene and had dinner with Paul and Janet McClung at Outback Steakhouse. Paul was a former elder at Sylvania Church and established the pastoral teaching ministry in Cuba. I went to Cuba this past fall with Paul. Paul has had difficulties of late with an unknown condition that is altering his thinking and giving him dizziness. Darlene and I are very concerned for our friends. 

1 Kings 10 – 12: What an odd situation it is to have the Lord appear to a person twice in their lifetime and then forsake the Lord for Idolatry. Solomon had become to big for his britches as the southern saying goes. 1 Kings 10:4-5 (NASB) 
When the queen of Sheba perceived all the wisdom of Solomon, the house that he had built, the food of his table, the seating of his servants, the attendance of his waiters and their attire, his cupbearers, and his stairway by which he went up to the house of the Lord, there was no more spirit in her. 
This lead to the divided kingdom that would reign throughout the remainder of kings. Why would a man who had the Lord appear to him even once forsake the Lord? I think that James gives the answer: James 1:14-15 (NASB)
But each one is tempted when he is carried away and enticed by his own lust. Then when lust has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and when sin is accomplished, it brings forth death. 
Lust is a powerful force that even the wisest and riches person in the world cannot defeat. Regarding lust, Jesus said to tear it away or cut it off that you may not die because of lust. Christ Jesus died for our sins according to the Scriptures and He was buried and He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures.