Monday, February 17, 2020

February 17th, 2020

Scripture: reading, 1 Kings 6–7 and recitation, John 2. I have decided that I should return to reciting 1 chapter from John’s gospel daily rather than breaking it up into smaller sections. I truly love the Word of God and look forward to reading and reciting His Word every morning. Yesterday, I ran for 1 hour and 7 minutes at a moderate pace. It has been a few weeks since I ran on 2 days back to back and I noticed the fatigue in my legs but I enjoyed the run nonetheless. I also noticed a slight soreness in my foot during the day but no pain as before and this morning there is no soreness. Nevertheless, I will do 30 minutes cross training today rather than running. I had the responsibility along with Mike Anderson to sit at the missions conference sign up table before Bible study and before and after corporate worship. Mike and I are members of the missions committee at Sylvania church and the committee has planned a missions conference for the weekend of February 28th, 29th and March 1st. On Friday the 29th we will have a free barbecue dinner paid for out of the missions budget with the missionaries that we support being in attendance. On Saturday there is a men’s breakfast with a speaker and ladies luncheon with a speaker. Then in Sunday, the committee has employed Kent Sparks to give a message to the congregation in missions. I have been reluctant regarding all of this because I am not a planner, nor did I have any insight into the planning of this event but will be a participant along with Paul McClung regarding the Cuban pastoral teaching ministry. Darlene and I attended Rodney Skyles’ class. Rodney taught on Matthew 20:1-16; the landowner and the workers hired for the vineyard. Rodney had some insights regarding covenants regarding this passage that I had not thought about before. Then in corporate worship Phillip preached on Luke 16:14-18. The main idea that I took from Phillips sermon: The proud heart justifies itself in the sight of men but the demands of the Law are much higher; therefore, what is esteemed among men is detestable in the eyes of God. This makes me think of Romans 3:20, “for by the works of the Law no flesh will be justified in His sight.” After departing our brothers and sisters at Sylvania, Darlene and I enjoyed a meal together then I completed, Spanish–Beginner I–Course 3–Lesson 1. That evening we watched a movie We Are Marshall about the tragedy that occurred at Marshall University in November, 1970. Our daughter Bethany has been spending weekends away and I have no knowledge of where she is or what she is doing. During the week days, as she is going back and forth from work, she sleeps and eats in our home. On Friday morning she goes to work and doesn’t return until Sunday evening. She is 26 years old but she lives in our home. I am worried about her but do not know how to reach her. When I have tried to talk with her she blows up. I am at a loss as to what I should be saying and doing.  
P.S. Yesterday was the 6th anniversary of my father’s death.