Sunday, September 5, 2021

Dedicated Service

I would like to say something about dedicated service. The apostle Paul wrote in Romans 12:1 (NASB): “Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship.”

Paul spent eleven chapters explaining that justification is not by works, but by faith; faith is given by the grace of God. No man chooses God, it is God who choses to be gracious. Romans 9:15-16 (NASB): “For He says to Moses, “I WILL HAVE MERCY ON WHOM I HAVE MERCY, AND I WILL HAVE COMPASSION ON WHOM I HAVE COMPASSION.” (Ex. 33:19) So then it does not depend on the man who wills or the man who runs, but on God who has mercy.”

In chapter 12 there is a transition. Paul begins to exhort the believer to work. I think that pastors have a very skewed view of what this work ought to look like. Their work is confined to the church building and to the members of the local church that they are pastoring, so many pastors think that the work of a believer is also confined in this way. I disagree, the work of a believer is in the world but the believer who is working in the world is not to be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of the mind; therefore, it is the job of a pastor to help renew the mind. (Rom. 12:2)

I believe that every believer ought to think of his job in terms of ministry. I am a Registered Nurse; therefore, I consider nursing to be my ministry. Nursing is a profession that is prophetic, that serves, that exhorts, that leads and shows mercy. (Rom. 12:6-7) We are all called to abhor what is evil; and cling to what is good. (Rom. 12:9) Not just in the confines of the church building but in the world that we all work in. Jesus said, Matthew 5:16 (NASB): “Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.”