Tuesday, March 2, 2021

In What or Whom Do You Trust?

This morning I read Psalms 51-57. All of these Psalms were written by David the king of Israel. David was king in Israel but he was like each of us. David was a sinner fallen short of the glory of God. David could not exalt himself and say, “Look at me and behold my greatness, behold my righteousness.” David knew that he was a sinner fallen short of the glory of God. David knew that all that he had was given to him by God. Therefore, David’s trust was in God. David gave thanks to God and praised his name before the people.

I awoke early this morning and could not fall back asleep. My mind begins to think and I cannot quite my thoughts. I was thinking about my convictions regarding the word of God and eschatology. Eschatology is the study of the last things, the part of theology concerned with death, judgment, and the final destiny of mankind. My eschatological convictions are already not yet. I believe in an already inaugurated, not yet consummated kingdom of God in Jesus Christ. All authority has been given to Jesus Christ, in heaven and on earth, but Jesus has not yet returned to the earth to sit down on his glorious throne. When he does, all the nations will be judged. The blessed will go into eternal life but the accursed will go away into eternal punishment. This has not yet happened but Jesus Christ has all authority in heaven and on earth.

In my job, at the bedside, in the cardiovascular intensive care unit, I see a great deal of human suffering and sad stories. Yesterday, I took care of two persons created in the image of God who are marred by the curse. However, there is hope for all who repent and trust in Jesus Christ. David and the Christian are saved the same way; David had repentance towards God for his sin and he trusted in God for his salvation. Jesus said on the cross, “It is finished.” All that we need for salvation has already been accomplished; we need but repent of our sins and trust in the word of God.