Wednesday, February 24, 2021

Aloneness

Psalms 25:10
All the paths of the LORD are lovingkindness and truth
To those who keep His covenant and His testimonies.

For the Christian in the new covenant inaugurated with the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, this passage has a familiar tone. When reading this passage my mind went to Romans 8:28,
And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.

I received him at 11:00am directly from the operating room; intubated, bleeding, on multiple vasopressors and inotropic support. I would spend the next 8 hours working to obtain homeostasis. When I reported off to the oncoming Registered Nurse and departed from him, there were multiple blood products infusing. As I walked to my automobile I had time to reflect. 

Not only was the man in critical condition but he appeared to be alone in the world. There were no family or friends waiting to see him and not contacts listed on the chart. His chart indicated that he had been in the hospital for 6 days before having this surgery. Why were their no contacts on his chart? Why was no one their for him? Was this man alone in life? What could have occurred in his life to make him alone? Could this happen to me? What do I need to do now, so that I am not alone at 80 years? I believe that all are created in the image of God; therefore, all persons valuable. It is often that I reflect on my patients and the day while driving home but this man especially was on my mind and in my prayers.

In Christ alone,
Michael Peek
The Nurse Theologian