Friday, February 5, 2021

February 5th in the year of Our Lord 2021

John 3:8.
“The wind blows where it wishes and you hear the sound of it, but do not know where it comes from and where it is going; so is everyone who is born of the Spirit.”

Yesterday, I flew a kite. The air was warmer, low 60’sº F, and the wind was blowing. A few weeks ago, I ordered a kite off the internet, a kite from my childhood, manufactured, and sold in the year, 1975. The kite was manufactured by a company named Gayla and was called a Sky-Spy because of the large eyes that looked down on the flier. The kite was much smaller than I remembered, but then again, I was seven years old in the spring of 1975, therefore, a much smaller person.

  After flying the kite, I sent a picture to my mother who responded: “I remember you and your kites.” I loved flying a kite as a child and for some reason this particular brand of kite. Not only did I enjoy flying a kite but my favorite dream involved me floating on the air above the earth. On the earth below, there was trouble but on the winds above the earth there was freedom.

Yesterday was a good day for flying a kite because the day before began with death and ended with death in the CVICU. We began the day with a Code 44. A Code 44 is the terminology used in the speakers overhead to alert the staff of a cardiovascular-pulmonary arrest. We had a Code 44 at the start of our shift and at the end of the shift; a reminder that on the earth, there is much suffering, death and sorrow. However, above the earth, there is freedom from these things. 

For me, flying a kite is a form of escapism from the troubles on the earth; however, I know what I did not know as a child, a man cannot really escape the troubles here below by any effort of his own. Jesus said to the thief who trusted in him and hung beside him on the cross, “Truly I say to you, today you shall be with Me in Paradise.” (Lk 23:43) There is freedom from sin, suffering, death and sorrow in the Lord Jesus Christ.