Sunday, October 31, 2021

Spiritual Gifts



In 1 Corinthians 12:28, the apostle Paul gives a list of Spiritual gifts. This is the second time in the same chapter that he gives a list of gifts that come from the same spirit. Each list varies in what he mentions as gifts; therefore, one can conclude that each listing of gifts is incomplete. The apostle has a point in this list regarding the Corinthian church. They were putting a high emphasis on speaking in tongues and ignoring the gifts that edify; therefore, he begins with apostles, prophets  and teachers, and ends the list with various kinds of tongues.

I have often thought about these things. What is my gifting? I am not an apostle and I do not have the gift of speaking in tongues but I do believe that I have the gift of helps first and teaching second. I cannot heal anyone but I can give help to the sick. I am not a prophet or an apostle but I can explain the writings of the prophets and the apostles. I am a Registered Nurse who felt compelled to study theology. 

The Lord God drew me to nursing before I repented and believed in the gospel and after believing he drew me to the study of his word and the church. Can I be satisfied helping the sick and teaching the word of God? I do believe that I can and desire to do so. 

What is the ministry that the Lord has given you? What is the ministry that the Lord has given me? I have called this blog The Nurse Theologian because that is who I am. I am a nurse who studies God. I am not an apostle or a prophet but I can teach. I do not have the gift of miracles, or healings but I can help. I do not believe that I am gifted in administrations or various tongues.  I am simply a man who loves the Lord and loves my neighbor. I am a nurse-theologian but my gifting is not greater than someone who is gifted differently than I, for we are all members of the same body, that is, the body of our Lord and Savior Jesus the Christ.