Monday, October 4, 2021

October 4, 2021

Dear Neighbor,

My words cannot save anyone, yet the Lord commanded that the disciples go make disciples of all the nations. Baptizing the new disciples in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Teaching the new disciples to observe all that Jesus had commanded them. And Jesus promised to be with them always, even to the end of the age. (Matthew 28:19-20) If I can encourage you to do anything, may it be that I encourage you to read the Bible because it is the Word of God and the Holy Spirit that saves.

Yesterday, I listened to Shane espouse the typology of baptism (cf. Romans 6:3 & Colossians 2:12)
Therefore we have been buried with Him through baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life.
And the etymology of the word baptize. In other words; what is the picture that baptism is displaying and what does the word baptize mean. The picture is death, burial and resurrection, and the word baptize means to immerse. Baptize is an alliteration of the Greek (βαπτίζω baptizō). Take off the (ō) because that does not sound or look english and replace it with an (e) and you have baptize. He asserted that the the early english translators purposely did not translate the Greek (βαπτίζω baptizō) to the english meaning (immerse) because it did not fit with their practice of sprinkling babies, rather than immersing believers. I must say, quite the interesting class and I look forward to what else Shane might have to say about baptism.

I have spent the past three weeks at a new job, same hospital, but knew job. When I say knew job, what I am doing is nursing of course but I am not in the intensive care unit. I have been working in the pre and post cardiac cath unit. It has been enjoyable but somewhat different and will take some getting use too. One thing that will take getting use to is working a Monday-Friday job, rather than 3 twelve hour shifts. It is my desire to honor the Word of God in all that I do, exalt the Lord Jesus Christ and seek the good of my neighbor. Lord willing!

Your Servant for Jesus’ Sake