Sunday, May 16, 2021

Sunday Morning, May 16th, in the year of Our Lord, 2021


Dear Neighbor,

For the past 37 days in a row, I have been going through the Westminster Shorter Catechism. It has been a wonderful time thinking about those great questions and answers given in that catechism. However, today I thought that I should write to you a letter about some of the things that have been on my mind. The picture above is of a business card that I had printed. I am giving them to my patients, their families and others while working in the hospital. The saying comes form 2 Corinthians 4:5 (NASB), “For we do not preach ourselves but Christ Jesus as Lord, and ourselves as your bond-servants for Jesus’ sake.” I am a servant to the patient and their family for Jesus’ name sake; for his glory and exaltation. 

I read something interesting this morning in the book of Amos. Amaziah the priest did not like Amos’ prophesizing to the king or the people of Israel. Amaziah who was the priest of Bethel told Amos to go away and no longer prophesy at Bethel. (Amos 7:12-13) This is not what I found interesting, but Amos reply to Amaziah I did find interesting. Then Amos replied to Amaziah, “I am not a prophet, nor am I the son of a prophet; for I am a herdsman and a grower of sycamore figs. But the LORD took me from following the flock and the LORD said to me, ‘Go prophesy to My people Israel.’” (Amos 7:14-15, NASB)

I found this interesting because I am not a pastor, nor the son of a pastor; I am a Registered Nurse who works in the Cardiovascular Intensive Care Unit. But the Lord put it in my heart and mind to study theology; therefore, I obtained a masters degree in theological studies, not to become something different than what I am. I believe that my purpose in life is to care for the sick and injured for Jesus’ sake and not to become something else.  The apostle Paul wrote, 1 Corinthians 7:24 (NASB), “Brethren, each one is to remain with God in that condition in which he was called.” Amos was not seeking to become a prophet or a priest but he was obedient to the Lord in his day, giving the message to his people Israel, saying, “Thus says the Lord.” My purpose in life is to be the patient’s servant, for Jesus’s sake!