Friday, April 9, 2021

What is the chief end of man?

A man’s chief end is to glorify God, and to enjoy him forever.[1]

1 Corinthians 10:31 (NASB) 

Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.

Why was man created? In my study, there is a painting of my father. This is a creation of my daughter’s, in the likeness of her grandfather, in one of the places on the earth that he enjoyed. Did she create this work of art for the glory of the painting? Did the painting create itself? When someone looks at a painting, you can marvel at it’s beauty, but ultimately, you most marvel at the artist who created the work of art. It is God who created the heavens, and the earth, and the sea, and all that they contain. We can enjoy the things, and persons, and work that we do, but it is God who gets all the glory, because it is God who created all.

Psalms 73:25-26 (NASB)

Whom have I in heaven but You?

And besides You, I desire nothing on earth.

My flesh and my heart may fail,

But God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.

It is often the case that people and things are taken away from us. It is in these times that we should realize that God never leaves us, nor forsakes us. Why is heaven heaven? Heaven is heaven because God is in heaven. God is the most beautiful of all beings and the cause of all things. The psalmist understood that no matter what might occur in life, no matter who might leave him, and even if his body fails him, God is eternal and will not fail him. God is to be enjoyed now and throughout eternity. Do not be distracted by the things of this world, but enjoy the Lord our God, the creator of the universe.



[1] The Shorter Catechism, Question 1.