Monday, April 5, 2021

A God Who Hears

Dear Neighbor,

My reading this morning came form Isaiah 45-48; for Israel, there is comfort in Cyrus, there is comfort in the fall of Babylon’s idols, there is comfort in the fall of Babylon and there is comfort in Israel’s return from captivity. Where do we find comfort except in the historical bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ and his promise to return to raise us up to eternal life in the new heaven and the new earth. 

I confess that my wife and I are struggling. We are going through a very difficult time and often feel like we are going through this difficult time alone. We are struggling because our children have departed from us and scorn us. Our God is not an idol of wood are metal set upon a shelf but a living God whose throne is in heaven. Jesus Christ is God incarnate, he died and rose again, he ascend, he sat down at the righthand of the Father and he lives to make intercession for us. He made this promise to his disciples, Matthew 18:19-20 (NASB), “Again I say to you, that if two of you agree on earth about anything that they may ask, it shall be done for them by My Father who is in heaven. For where two or three have gathered together in My name, I am there in their midst.” 

In fictional T.V. shows or movies, a group of characters might come together and hold a prayer vigil for an injured or suffering person in their midst; however, does this happen in the church? I understand that vs. 19-20 are regarding church discipline and our children are not members of the church. I do not even know what I am saying at the moment except that we are hurting and in need of prayer.

Michael Peek, BSN, RN, MTS