Tuesday, April 6, 2021

The Suffering Servant



The translation that I read, (NASB) gives Isaiah 53 the title: The Suffering Servant. Biblical interpretation is a very interesting thing and can be thwarted by our desires and presuppositions. For example: The 21st century Jewish Rabbi would tell you that the suffering servant in Isaiah 53 is Israel. The christian dispensationalist interprets the passage to be about Israel but in a different way; it is the confession of Israel on a future date, when Israel comes to repent and believe in the Lord Jesus Christ. However, the unlearned person who has heard the story of Jesus but does not have a theological grid by which to interpret the Scripture would simply say, the passage is about Jesus. The simplest interpretation is often the correct interpretation, that is, if you are seeing Christ in all of Scripture because the Scriptures are written about Jesus Christ.

John 6:35 (NASB)
“I am the bread of life!”

John 8:12 (NASB)
“I am the Light of the world!”

John 10:7 (NASB)
“I am the door of the sheep!”

John 10:11 (NASB)
“I am the good shepherd!”

John 11:25 (NASB)
“I am the resurrection and the life!”

John 14:6 (NASB)
“I am the way, and the truth, and the life!”

John 15:1 (NASB)
“I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser!”