Thursday, December 31, 2020

Who is Greater?

“For who is greater, the one who reclines at the table or the one who serves? Is it not the one who reclines at the table? But I am among you as the one who serves.” (Luke 22:27)

During the Passover meal, Jesus inaugurated the Lord’s supper; the eating of bread in remembrance that his body was broken for us and the drinking of wine in remembrance that his blood was shed for us. A discussion began to occur about which of the disciples was the greatest. John records how Jesus took off his outer garments, put a towel around his waist, took a bowl of water and began to wash his disciples feet. He gave them an example that they were to emulate. (John 13:15)

Nursing began in this way. It was not a secular profession as it is today but a service to others for Jesus sake. And nursing was not a profession for women, it was men who cared for the sick and weary. “For we do not preach ourselves but Christ Jesus as Lord, and ourselves as your bond-servants for Jesus’ sake.” (2 Corinthians 4:5)

Who is greater? Among men the greater is served but Jesus said that he was among them as the one who serves. And what a service it was, he laid down his life for our sins. He took upon himself the punishment that we rightly deserve, so that we could be made righteous in the sight of God.  (2 Corinthians 5:21) 

Today is the last day of the year, as we measure an evolution of the earth around the sun, and call it a year. I do not know why we measure it from this point in the season of winter but that is another topic. However, being that it is the last day of the year, I have been thinking about the life that Father God has given me in Jesus Christ. 

I was chosen by the Father God before the foundation of the earth, justified through the sin sacrifice of Jesus Christ and made new by the regenerating work of the Holy Spirit. (Ephesians 1:3-14) I have been lamenting what I have lost and counting what I have been given. I have lost a great deal in the year 2020. My life is not what it ought to be, but my sins are forgiven, and I have a relationship with God: Father and Son and Holy Spirit. I have a wife who loves me and a job that allows me to serve others. 

This is the day which the LORD has made;
Let us rejoice and be glad in it. (Psalm 118:24)