Friday, December 25, 2020

Merry Christmas

This morning I read Luke 16. In this chapter, Jesus tells a parable about an unrighteous steward, who when he heard that he was going to be dismissed by his master, makes friends with his masters debtors by changing their bills. Jesus said that man cannot serve God and money. The Pharisees did not like to hear this because they loved having wealth. Not only did they love having wealth but they loved themselves more than they loved the other person. One of the many things that they were doing was divorcing their wives to marry another woman. Casting aside the woman whom they promised to have and to hold until death do them part. A woman in this time period could not support herself, so she had to find another man to marry or die of exposure and starvation. Jesus then told a parable about a rich man and a poor man named Lazarus. The rich man did nothing to help the poor man during their lives. Both men died and Lazarus went to heaven but the rich man went to hell. The rich man desired that Lazarus should dip his finger in water and cool his tongue because he was in agony in the flame. Even in death, while under the wrath of God, the rich man was still more concerned about his own comfort than the poor man. There is a great chasm fixed between heaven and hell, where no one can pass from one to the other, but it appears that those who are in hell can see the good things of heaven from afar.

I have decided to change the way that I write in the morning a little bit. I make no promises about what I shall write in this blog. The Nurse Theologian is my public journal. It is my habit to arise 2 hours before I need to depart my home each day. I begin by reciting a chapter out of John’s gospel, then I write a letter to God, then I read a portion of Scripture and I conclude by writing in this blog. Through January 2, 2021, I will be reading from Lukes Gospel, but beginning on Sunday, January 3, 2021, I will be reading from a plan that has me reading a different genre of Scripture every morning, thereby, reading through the bible in 52 weeks. I think that this will be a very interesting way to read the Scriptures and I am looking forward to it.

Today is Christmas day. I would like to take the time to say Merry Christmas to anyone who might read this text. It is truly amazing that God would give to us, his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in him, should not perish, but have everlasting life. (Jn 3:16) My recitation from John’s gospel today was chapter 6. In this chapter, Jesus tells the Jews about the gift that God has given. 
Jesus then said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, it is not Moses who has given you the bread out of heaven, but it is My Father who gives you the true bread out of heaven. For the bread of God is that which comes down out of heaven, and gives life to the world.” John 6:32-33