Sunday, June 14, 2020

Matthew 3

What does it say?
John the Baptist, whose preaching was prophesied by Isaiah 40:3, came preaching in the wilderness a message of repentance. John looked wild because he clothed himself with wild things and he ate food scavenged in the wilderness but only bugs considered clean. (Lev. 11:22) John was baptizing repentant Jews in the Jordan, telling them all to bear fruit in keeping with repentance. John called the Pharisees and Sadducees a brood of vipers. He warned that one is coming after him who would baptize with the Holy Spirit and with fire. Jesus was baptized by John in the Jordan, the Spirit of God descended on him and a voice from heaven said, “This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well-pleased.”

What does it mean?
John was the forerunner for the Messiah. In ancient times, before a king from a distant land arrives, a forerunner was sent to prepare the people for the kings arrival. This was the mission of John the Baptist, he was one shouting in the wilderness, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.” John’s clothing and his food indicated that he was not concerned with the riches of this world but was solely concerned with warning people to repent and exhorting them to bear fruit in keeping with repentance. He warned that blood relationship to Abraham would not save them from the wrath of the King. He warned that outward observance of the law would not save them from the wrath of the King. Only repentance towards God would save them from the unquenchable fire of his wrath. He warned that the King of heaven is coming to save the repentant and to destroy the unrepentant. Jesus is introduced as the Son of God, approved by God to rule in the kingdom of God. The Pharisees and the Sadducees were rulers in the kingdom of man but Jesus was aire to the kingdom of God. Jesus was baptized by John to fulfill all righteousness. 
Psalms 40:7-8 (NASB)
Then I said, “Behold, I come;
In the scroll of the book it is written of me.
I delight to do Your will, O my God;
Your Law is within my heart.”

What shall I do?
I shall have repentance towards God and faith in Jesus Christ. I shall bear fruit in keeping with my repentance. While in the kingdom of man I shall not live as a citizen in the kingdom of man but as a citizen in the kingdom of God. Jesus said, “My Father is glorified by this, that you bear much fruit, and so prove to be My disciples.” (Jn 15:8 [NASB]) Jesus commandment for his disciples is love: love enemies, love neighbors and love the church. I shall love every single person on the earth because all were created in the image of God.