Sunday, June 7, 2020

Genesis 40-42

What does it say?
Genesis 40 - While Joseph was in prison, Pharaoh became angry and placed his chief baker and his cup bearer in the same prison. These two men dreamed and Joseph interpreted their dreams for them by God. The cup bearer was restored to his office and the chief baker was hanged to his death. He had asked that the cup bearer remember him.
Genesis 41 - Two years later, Pharaoh had two dreams that disturbed him greatly. He dreamed that seven sleek and fat cows, were eaten by seven ugly and gaunt cows. He dreamed that seven plump ears of grain, were eaten by seven ears, scorched by the wind of the desert. The cup bearer told Pharaoh about Joseph. Joseph interpreted Pharaoh’s dream. He said that God was revealing to Pharaoh that seven abundant years would be followed by seven years of famine. The seven years of famine would be so divesting that no one would remember the seven abundant years. He also told Pharaoh that he should appoint a man to save one-fifth of all the produce during the seven abundant years, for food during the seven years of famine. Pharaoh appointed Joseph steward of Pharaoh’s house. Joseph became lord of the land, for his commands were second, only to Pharaoh’s. Joseph was given a wife and she bore him two sons: Manasseh the oldest and Ephraim the younger. 
Genesis 42 - Jacob sent his sons, except Benjamin, to the land of Egypt to by food for famine was in the land of Canaan. Jospeh recognized his brothers and told them that they could not return without their youngest brother Benjamin, he held Simeon hostage until they returned. This upset Jacob greatly, who cried out saying, “All of these things are against me.” Reuben offered his two sons for the life of Benjamin but Jacob refused him.

What does it mean?
Firstly, God is sovereign, not Pharaoh, nor any man. God is all powerful, all knowing and all good. Previously, what Joseph’s brothers meant for evil, God allowed for good. Joseph became lord of the land. If God wants man to know what he is going to do, he will reveal his plans to man but if not, it remains a mystery. Secondly, all that is produced during the abundant years of life should not be devoured. Years of famine come to everyone. We should save during the abundant years, so that we have during the years of famine. At some point, we will become old and sick; therefore, unable to work. We should save while we are young for substance when we are old, one-fifth is a good saving plan during our working years. Lastly, Jacob believed that all was against him but God was for him, for his son Joseph was being restored to him. 

What shall I do?
I shall trust that the Father God is all powerful, all knowing and all good. I may not understand God’s plan but I trust that he has a plan; his plan will work for good because he is good, his plan will be accomplished because he is all powerful, and he knows my thoughts because he is all knowing. Secondly, I shall save one-fifth of my income now because I know that I will reach a point in life when I am unable to work because of sickness or old age. I shall do this, not for myself only but also for my wife and family. Lastly, I shall remember that even though things might seem against me, the reality may be different than what I perceive.