Friday, June 26, 2020

Exodus 6

God was going to force Pharaoh’s arm in accordance with the will of God. The name Yhvh יְהוָֹה pronounced - Yehovah or Yahveh, which is rendered LORD in English translations was not known to the patriarchs Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. It was not that they never heard the name because Genesis 15:7, 28:13 would suggest that they did; however, the patriarchs knew God primarily as El-Shaddai (God Almighty). This indicates that the sons of Israel, whom the Lord called, “My people,” was going to be known to the sons of Israel in a knew way than did the patriarchs. Do we not know him in a knew way and by a different name after the incarnation? Do we not now know God as Father and Son and Holy Spirit? (Mt.28:19) The Lord commissioned Moses to tell the sons of Israel, “I AM and I will bring you out of bondage. In fact, the Lord said, “I will,” seven times in vv.6-8. I cannot help but relate this to the seven Metaphorical “I AM” statements of Jesus, record in John’s gospel account. From this point on, the sons of Israel will know the creator God by the name, Yhvh יְהוָֹה pronounced - Yehovah or Yahveh, which is rendered LORD in English translations. However, when Moses relayed this message to the people, they did not listen to Moses because they were despondent. The Lord commanded Moses to go to Pharaoh and tell him to let my people go but Moses did not understand how Pharaoh would listen if the people that God had chosen wouldn’t listen to him. Nonetheless, the Lord charge Moses and Aaron with bringing the people out of Egypt. I have felt overwhelmed with my patient care assignments, several times during my nursing career but I cannot image how overwhelmed Moses and Aaron felt about the task that they were being charged with.

Exodus 6:14-30
The text begins to go through the heads of the sons of Israel, beginning with the oldest son Reuben, then Simeon but gets stuck on Levi. It seems that the purpose is to focus on Moses and Aaron as the leaders during the Exodus, with Aaron’s descendant becoming the priestly line.