Thursday, June 18, 2020

Matthew 7

What does it mean?
The teaching in this chapter are very proverbial. Right and wrong is objective but are judgments are subjective because emotion and presupposition always plays a part in any judgment we make; so, be very careful when judging others, is it for their good or your glory? (vv. 1-5)
The gospel is holy and is of high value; therefore, treat the good news in this way. (v. 6)
Jesus wants us to thank of God as father and ourselves as children of God. He says that God will give good things to his children when the ask. (vv. 7-11)
Treating people the same way that you want to be treated summarizes what the Law and the Prophets taught in the Old Testament writings. (v. 12)
Jesus began his ministry preaching, “Repent for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.” (Mt 4:17) Shortly after this, Jesus called his disciples and said to them “Follow Me.” (Mt 4:19) Repentance is the small gate and following Jesus is the narrow way that leads to life. (vv. 13-14)
Jesus did not mean for us to never judge others because in this section he is teaching his disciples to judge the lives of those who are teachers in the church. (vv. 15-20)
Doing good works will not earn a spot in the kingdom. Teachers know their students; therefore, to enter you must become a disciple of Jesus Christ. (vv. 21-23)
Every work must be built on the teachings of Jesus Christ or it will be destroyed on the day of judgment. (vv. 24-27)
Jesus did not teach as the scribes but he taught as God with us. (vv. 28-29)

What should I do?
I should be very careful when judging others. I should judge my motives before judging another person. I should tell the good news to those who might see it as a treasure. I should pray to God as a child asks his father for the things that he needs. I should treat every single person the way that I want to be treated, irregardless of how I am treated. I should daily repent from my sins and follow Jesus Christ. I should watch the lives of those who are teachers in the church. Are their lives in accordance with the teachings of Jesus Christ and the apostles? If not, then I should distance myself from that persons teaching. I should not trust in my works to save me on the day of judgment. I should follow Jesus Christ and build solely on the good foundation of his teachings. I should always remember that Jesus is greater than.