Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Psalms 119

Psalms 119

The one who wrote Psalm 119 loves the Lord with all of his heart, soul and mind. Jesus said, “If you love me you will keep my commandments.” (Jn.14:15, NASB) How are we to keep the commandments of the Lord? Is it even possible for a man? It is possible in Jesus Christ but not in our flesh. Jesus is the incarnate Word of God. (Jn.1:1-18) To be in Jesus Christ is to observe every statute of God. Jesus kept the Father’s commandments. Jesus is the embodiment of the perfect man who follows the word of God. 

I was led astray from birth. I did not know the Lord our his statutes. I was not taught the word of the Lord. I remember as a youth, believing that there is a God but did not know what he was like, nor did I know what he expected of me. I knew that their is a creator from seeing the natural revelation. I was given a Bible in my early teens but did not read it. I took this Bible with me when I was in the Army; stationed away from my family in the countries of Panama (1988-89) and in Korea (1991-92) but I did not read it. It wasn’t until 2003 that I was drawn by the Spirit of God to pick up and read the word of God. Once I began to read, I began to pray like the Psalmist:

Deal with Your servant according to Your lovingkindness
And teach me Your statutes. (Ps.119:124, NASB)

It is through reading the word of God and observing his statutes that I have come to love God the Father and his Son, Jesus Christ the Lord. The sum of the Lord’s word is truth, and his ordinances are everlasting. (Ps.119:160)  Jesus said, “For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished.” (Mt.5:18, NASB)