Sunday, May 3, 2020

Psalms 106-107

Psalms 106 and 107

These two psalms are about the lovingkindness and truth of God towards men who do not deserve it.

Psalms 107:1 (NASB)
Oh give thanks to the LORD, for He is good,
For His lovingkindness is everlasting.

The translators pericope: Israel’s Rebelliousness and the LORD’S Deliverances. The LORD Delivers Men from Manifold Troubles.

The Lord kept his promise to Israel despite their rebellion against his commandments. When the afflicted call on the name of the Lord, he saves them as A. W. Pink said; from the pleasure, penalty, power and presence of sin. The cause of everything that we need deliverance from is sin. Sin is the root of all of our troubles. Yes, there are times when my sin is not the cause of my present troubles; however, sin is the root cause of all my troubles. This morning, my back is aching and yesterday I had to work all the day long with an aching back. This reminds me that this present world is not my home. I am on a journey to the celestial city in which the sinless Lamb of God, Jesus Christ is seated on the thrown of God. The Lord God has taken out my heart of stone and put in me a soft heart. He has given me the gift of faith in Jesus Christ who atoned for my sins. He has given me the gift of the Holy Spirit who uses the Scriptures to keep me on the narrow path. However, I am not yet home. I have not yet reached the destination of my travel. I still need to cross the river into the promise land in which there is no sin. Like Israel, I am rebellious but the Lord is faithful. The Lord has, the Lord is and the Lord will deliver me from sin and manifold my troubles. Therefore, I shall mediate on the lovingkindness of the Lord and not my manifold troubles.