Monday, October 12, 2020

Numbers Twenty

What does it say?
Miriam, the sister of Moses and Aaron, died in the wilderness of Zin. The people complained because it was a hard place and they had no water to drink. The Lord commanded Moses and Aaron to take the rod (Aaron’s rod) and assemble the congregation and speak to the rock, that it may yield water before their eyes. However, Moses stuck the rock twice with the rod; therefore, the Lord was angry with Moses and Aaron and would not allow them to lead the people into the land which the Lord was giving them. Moses sent messengers to the king of Edom, asking for his blessing, that the sons of Israel may pass through Edom. Edom refused the sons of Israel. Eleazar, the son of Aaron, was made high priest and Aaron died on Mount Hor, by the border of Edom, because he and Moses rebelled against the Lord’s command at the waters of Meribah.

What does it mean?
Life in this broken world is difficult. There is no promise of an easy and happy life in this world, but there is in the world to come. There is a tendency to become like the world, if we are not careful to observe all that the Lord commands. The people dishonored the Lord with their complaining. Moses and Aaron dishonored the Lord by striking the rock twice, instead of speaking to the rock as the Lord commanded them. It is easy to blame God for the decisions that we make or others make. The Lord forgives sin but there are repercussions for sin in this world.

What shall I do?
I shall honor God, exalt Jesus Christ and seek the best for my neighbor. I shall not seek my own honor, glory or self interest above my neighbors. The person who truly follows the Lord may never be noticed and may be stepped on by others. I shall seek the Lord’s glory and not my own. I shall seek the good of my neighbor and not my ease.