Sunday, October 4, 2020

Numbers Twelve

What does it say?
Miriam and Aaron spoke against their brother Moses. They held animosity towards him because he had married a Cushite woman and they were jealous of his status as spokesmen for the Lord. The Lord heard what they were saying, so he commanded that the three of them come out to the tent of the meeting. The Lord exalted Moses before Miriam and Aaron because he was very humble. The Lord speaks to a prophet through visions and dreams but he spoke to Moses mouth to mouth and Moses saw the form of the Lord. The Lord was angry, therefore, he struck Miriam with leprosy. Aaron repented and turned to Moses for forgiveness. Moses asked the Lord to heal Miriam. The Lord healed her but she had to bear her shame outside the camp for seven days. When she was received back into the camp, the sons of Israel continued the journey. 

What does it mean?
The secret to true happiness is contentment in whatever situation we find ourselves. (2 Cor 12:10) Jesus said: Matthew 11:28-30 (NASB)
Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.
Miriam was the elder sister of Aaron and Moses. The name Miriam means “rebellion” in Hebrew. To be jealous of others is rebellion against the Lord. It was the Lord who called to Moses from the burning bush. Moses did not chose the Lord, the Lord chose Moses. Therefore, speaking against the Lord’s chosen servant is speaking against the Lord. Jesus said: John 13:20 (NASB)
Truly, truly, I say to you, he who receives whomever I send receives Me; and he who receives Me receives Him who sent Me.
The Lord forgives iniquity, transgression and sin to those who repent; however, there are earthly consequences. 

What should I do?
I confess that I have been jealous of others. I have lamented when I have worked hard and others received recognition. I shall be humble and content in whatever situation I find myself. If the Lord choses me for something that puts me before other people, I shall be humble, and if lowly, I shall be content. I shall remember that the greatest in the kingdom of heaven is not the person in the spot light but the one who humbles himself (Mt 18:4) and serves others. (Mt 23:11)