Monday, October 5, 2020

Numbers Thirteen

What does it say?
The Lord commanded Moses to send men into the land of Canaan to spy out the land. Moses picked one man from each tribe as representatives. Joseph was two tribes (Ephraim and Manasseh) and there was no representative for Levi because Levi was the Lord’s servant. So, there were twelve men in all sent to spy out the land of Canaan. They returned with a report that the land was fruitful and brought back some of the fruit of the land. However, they also reported that the people in the land were mighty, fearful and the cities were fortified. Caleb was one of the spies, he represented the tribe of Judah, and he said that the sons of Israel should take possession of the land but the others contradicted him and gave the sons of Israel a bad report. 

What does it mean?
Your faith will be tested. Do you trust the word of the Lord? There was no reason for the Lord to send spies into the land of Canaan because the Lord is omniscient and omnipresent; he knows all and sees all. The Lord is also omnipotent and all good; he his all powerful and his word is trustworthy. His sending was a test for the sons of Israel, would they trust his word? Adam and Eve were expelled from the garden because they did not trust the word of the Lord. Jesus said to his disciples, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me. If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also; from now on you know Him, and have seen Him.” (Jn 14:6-7) The only way back is through faith, trusting the word of the Lord, “And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth.” (Jn 1:14) Were the sons of Israel going to trust the word of the Lord or the word of their representative spies? Are we going to trust the word of the Lord or human reason?

What shall I do?
I shall trust the word of the Lord. Jesus has promised eternal life in the new heaven and new earth to all who repent and believe in him. I cannot see this now and I must walk through the valley of the shadow of death to get there. I shall fear no evil, for the word of the Lord is with me and he comforts me. (Ps 23:4) Now I see in a mirror dimly, but I will see the Lord face to face; now I see in part but then I will see fully, just as he sees me fully now. ((1 Cor 13:12) I shall trust the word of the Lord and follow Jesus Christ into the promised land. He has gone to prepare a place for me and promises to return for me. (Jn 14:3)