Thursday, April 9, 2020

Job 32-34

What does it say?
Elihu in anger rebuked Job because he justified himself before God; also his three friends because they found no answer, yet they condemned Job. Elihu claims to speak for God. Elihu Vindicates God’s Justice. 

What does it mean?
Elihu kept quite until the three elder friends of Job rested their case. They condemned Job a sinner without answering his arguments. The Scripture says, “for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” (Rom 3:23) I know that all men have sinned but I cannot judge someone without giving evidence. Elihu says that Job’s friends condemned him a sinner without law. It is as though Job was on trial. These three men condemned him without law. What would you think if you heard that a man was walking down the street in tattered clothing; the police arrested him and the judge sentences him to a prison? Wouldn’t you want to know his crime and the evidence that he broke the law? The law needs to be stated, and evidence for breaking that law must be given before the accused is condemned to prison. Elihu declares the justice of God with evidence.

What shall I do?
I shall not judge, so that I will not be judged. I do not want someone judging me without evidence; therefore, I shall not judge another without evidence. (Mt 7:1-2) It isn’t that I shall never judge, but I shall not judge based on appearances. If I do judge, I shall make a righteous judgment according to the law. (Jn 7:24) In order for a man to understand his need for the atonement of Jesus Christ, I shall give him the law of God, so that he may judge himself righteously.