Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Job 24-28

What does it say?
Job says that God seems to ignore wrongs. Bildad says that man is inferior. Job rebukes Bildad for his unkind words. Job speaks of the greatness of God. Job holds fast to his personal righteousness. Job says that God will crush the wicked. Job says that a man can find riches on the earth; however, wisdom and understanding are harder for a man to find, nor can he buy them with the riches of the earth. The fear of the Lord is wisdom and to depart from evil is understanding. 

What does it mean?
When we survey the earth it appears that God ignores wrongs. How can anyone deny this unless he his blind. There is a great deal of wickedness on the earth and many of the wicked live rich productive lives. Is God unjust? Job holds that God is just. The wicked seek after riches but wisdom is better than riches. All of Job’s riches were taken from him but Job has something worth far more than riches. Job has wisdom and understanding. Jesus said, “Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.” Mt 10:28) Job has an understanding of justice beyond the grave. 

What shall I do?
I shall repent and put my faith in the Lord Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of my sins. I know that God has the power to destroy my body and soul in hell. I know that it is appointed for men to die once and after this comes judgment. (Heb 9:27) I know that I am guilty of breaking God’s law: I have put many things before God. I have worshiped idols. I have used God’s name in vain. I have forgotten the Sabbath. I have dishonored my father and mother. I have hated my brother and lusted for my neighbors wife. I have stolen and lied. I have coveted what belongs to my neighbor. If I come to the judgment seat of God without the perfect substitute, I would be destroyed, because I deserve death and hell. But thanks be to God for his gracious gift; he is just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus. (Rom 3:21-26)