Thursday, July 26, 2018

Reaching & Teaching

I have 3 1/2 weeks before the fall semester begins at Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary. I have been working towards a Master of Theological studies. I hope (Lord willing) to complete the degree in the spring of 2019. During the summer break I have been thinking a great deal about where the Lord is leading me after graduation. Where does he want me to serve? What is my place in his kingdom? What does he want me doing? I have been wondering about these questions and many more this summer.

I have read several books this summer:
  1. Leiter, Charles. The Law of Christ. Hannibal: Granted Ministries Press, 2012.
  2. Resigner, John G. The Believer’s Sabbath. Frederick: New Covenant Media, 2002.
  3. Zaspel, Fred G. The New Covenant and New Covenant Theology. Frederick: New Covenant Media, 2011.
  4. Long, Gary D, ed. The First London Confession of Faith 1646 Edition With an Appendix By Benjamin Cox. Bolton: Sovereign Grace Ministries, 2004.
  5. Long, Gary D. NCT: Time for a More Accurate Way. Gary D. Long, 2013.
  6. White, A. Blake. The Law of Christ: A Theological Proposal. Fredrick: New Covenant Media, 2010.
  7. Gentry Peter J. and Stephen J. Wellum. God’s Kingdom through God’s Covenants. Wheaton: Crossway, 2015.
  8. Clouse, Robert G. War: Four Christian Views. Winona: BMH Books, 1986.
I chose these books as I became interested in their subject matter while doing my academic theological studies this past year. I have come to the conclusion that the entire metanarrative of scripture is based on the first three chapters of the Bible. God’s covenants are the stepping stones purposely placed by God to bring us (man) to its ultimate fulfillment in the kingdom of God. Jesus Christ is the way and the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father but through him. (Jn. 14:6)

Currently I am reading War: Four Christian Views because I was not satisfied with my instructor's view on war. Neither am I satisfied with the majority evangelical view on war. I do not think that the current evangelical view on war is in agreement with Scripture. The Christian is under a New Covenant in Christ Jesus. Jesus Christ is our Lord and he commissioned his apostles to make disciples and teaching them; therefore, what Christ and the apostles have to say on the matter supersedes all human reasoning. I will speak more on this subject after I complete my study.

At the base of this post I am including a short video by Reaching & Teaching International Ministries because it is a ministry that I am prayerfully considering being a part of after completing my academic theological training. However, whatever the Lord wills may that be what is done.


Reaching & Teaching International Ministries from Jon Deedrick on Vimeo.