Monday, June 13, 2016

I Hope So


            In one of his recent sermons, my pastor Phillip Dancy, of Sylvania Church in Tyler, Texas, said; all religions in the world except Christianity are hope so religions.[1] Ever since I heard that statement it has been on my mind, because of its familiarity. Just ask someone; Are you going to go to heaven when you die? The typical answer is, “I hope so.”
A few days ago my wife Darlene and I took a trip to Sam’s Warehouse where you get a discount on food items by buying in bulk. I dropped her off at the front door and proceeded to park the car. I noticed two women with two children crossing from the parking lot to the store. All four of them were dressed in African attire. One of the women was wearing a hijab, which is a veil covering the head and chest typically worn by Muslim women in public. What my pastor said came to mind. I began to ponder, why do people put so much effort into a hope so, when the free gift of eternal life in Christ Jesus is a trustworthy promise?
Jesus lived a righteous life, He never sinned, and therefore lived a life pleasing to God. He promised eternal life to everyone who believes in Him (He is the Christ, the Son of God); then He suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried. On the third day he rose again; presenting Himself alive after His suffering, by many convincing proofs, appearing to the disciples in bodily form on three separate occasions in The Gospel According to John.[2] Jesus demonstrated by His life that He is trustworthy and He demonstrated by His resurrection that He is able. Therefore, the only logical thing for us to do is repent and put our trust in Jesus.




[1] Phillip Dancy, sermon on 2 John, Sylvania Church, May 29, 2016.
[2] cf. Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.