Saturday, March 5, 2016

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death

I know as I write this some of you are going to think that I have lost my mind, but understand that this is coming from a person who served nearly 5 years in the Army on three different continents.  Have you ever wondered if the American Revolution was such a good idea?  I never did until this past week when the American presidential primary came to my residential state of Texas.  Something about it all just doesn't seem right and these three things entered into my mind.

First of all American politics are based on speaking evil against the other candidates.  Yet this behavior contradicts the entire sermon on the mount.  "In everything, therefore, treat people the same way you want them to treat you, for this is the Law and the Prophets." (Mt 7:12).

Secondly I noticed that American Christians seem to be preoccupied with politics.  This preoccupation with politics is contrary to the great commission.  "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always even to the end of the age." (Mt 28:19-20)

Thirdly the apostle Paul wrote "Every person is to be in subjection to the governing authorities.  For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God." (Rom 13:1). The Virginia colony was the first British colony in the world.  In 1775 it was under the rule of King George III.  Patrick Henry is attributed with saying, "Give me liberty, or give me death!" From a speech he made to the Virginia Convention in 1775 at St. John's Church in Richmond Virginia.  His speech is credited with convincing the the Virginia convention to deliver Virginia troops for the Revolutionary War.  



Now I ask you, are the words "Give me liberty, or give me death!" Keeping with what Paul wrote in Romans chapter 13?  "Therefore whoever resists authority has opposed the ordinance of God; and they who have opposed will receive condemnation upon themselves." (2). The antics that we see from our politicians and the people of America are a direct result of resisting authority.

This is the country into which I was born and it is the political system that we have, therefore, I will be taking part in it as a voter.  But I urge all of my brothers in Christ not to be so caught up in this corrupt system, but instead; make disciples of Jesus Christ, treat all people the same way that you want them to treat you, and do not resist the governing authorities.




In Christ alone,
Mike Peek