Sunday, March 13, 2016

Breadth & Depth

It is said that 90% of an iceberg is below the surface of the water.  The quote is by Christian author Jerry Bridges who went to be with the Lord this past week on March, 6, 2016.  Jerry Bridges was born on December, 4, 1929, in Tyler, Texas; the town that I live near to, work in, and attend fellowship at Sylvania Chruch.  The meme is by the Pastor and Christian writer Tim Challies.  I thought that both the quote and the iceberg were telling of what I would like to talk about today.
Jesus said, "My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me; and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand." (Jn 10:27-28)
In the spring of 2003 I heard His voice and began following Him.  Jesus has ascended into heaven and sat down at the right hand of the Father.  So how have I been following Him since He is now with the Father?  I picked up the Bible and began to read it everyday, and I know that the Bible is true by the Holy spirit who dwells within me.

For many years now I have been reading the Bible, and have grown in much understand about the Lord from reading the text alone.  For sometime now I have had a growing desire to go much deeper in my understanding of the Lord by going deeper into the text of scripture.  So, Lord willing, on March 21, 2016, I will begin classes at Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, working towards a Master of Theological Studies.  

The first 1/3 of the program will be the study of the scripture, and hermeneutics for deeper study of scripture.  1/3 of the program will be on church history and theology which cannot be separated.  1/3 of the program will be on practice; apologetics, evangelism  & discipleship, leadership, and missions.

So I invite you all to join me on this new journey as I follow my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.  I expect that my writing will change as I grow in both knowledge and wisdom.  In whatever I do may I do it for the Lord and His church.




In Christ alone,
Mike Peek