Sunday, February 7, 2016

Jesus Died For US

(Picture Source Unknown)

            “I am the good shepherd; the good shepherd lays down His life for the sheep…My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me; and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand.  My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand.  I and the Father are one.” (Jn 10:11…27-30)

            The gospel is the good news that although we have all sinned against God and deserve death; Jesus died for us.  The “US” are His sheep and Jesus is the good shepherd.  His sheep hear His voice and follow Him.  Therefore, evangelism is telling the sheep the good news, and we do not know who the sheep are, therefore, we tell everyone.

            People often ask me after a time of preaching the gospel on campus or after an evangelism trip, “How did it go?”  I always feel uncomfortable with this question, because I do not have an answer.  Here is what I do know: I know that Jesus is the good shepherd and He laid down His life for His sheep.  I also know that His sheep hear His voice and follow Him, but as the apostle Paul said, they cannot hear Him without a preacher and they cannot preach unless they are sent (Rom 10:14-15).

            Jesus told His disciples to go preach the good news indiscriminately.  “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation.” (Mk 16:15)  Although it is said differently in each gospel account, and also again in Acts.  It is a sending out of His church to preach the good news without regards for race, social standing, wealth, intelligence, or niceness.  Preach the gospel to everyone!



In Christ alone,
Mike Peek