Tuesday, March 22, 2011

That Thing Called Love

There is something that is on my heart and what that something is, that thing called love. “Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in truth, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails”. True love, what is true love? True love is when you do something for someone else knowing full well that it won’t benefit you in the slightest and may even hurt you. From where does such love come from, dare I say from God! The bible says “God is Love”. Jesus said: “Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends”. I write this even now because I want to share with you the immensely, unimaginable love God has given me. Though I did not deserve it He laid down His life for me, when I think of that it confounds me. I write a lot about the law of God and there is a reason for that, the law of God was given to show us our need for the grace of God that comes through our Lord Jesus Christ. Salvation is purely a gift from God, we didn’t do anything to earn it nor can we, it is by the grace of God we are saved.

I have a son named Daniel who I dearly love. He is not my biological son he is my adopted son that God gave me to raise from the age of one, I am the only earthly father that Daniel has ever none. He was the baby I cared for, whose diaper I changed, who I went to work for to earn money to feed and clothe, who I worried about when he was sick, read books to as he sat in my lap, spent entire evenings and weekends at the soccer fields watching him play, when he began to drive I prayed for him often and hoped for his safe return. I loved my son Daniel from the time I first met him until now and still. He began growing apart from his mother and me when he was in his teens. Didn’t spend time with us stayed away as much as he could, he graduated high school then went to college at the University of North Texas at first he never called but if we called he would answer for a while then shortly after he would no longer even answer, all communication had stopped. We found out through the University that he was failing every one of his classes and was not attending any of them. My wife and I showed up at the dorm packed up all of his things and took him home with much anguish. Shortly after this we went to work one day and came home and he was gone, no goodbye nothing just gone. I found him at a coffee shop a month later he had been staying with a friend. Now fast forward two years later Daniel remains separated from our family, we have occasional contact with him but it is very infrequent most times we don’t hear from him unless he wants’ something which is seldom.

I bring up this relationship with the son whom I love to bring up to you a very important point, to express to you the best way I know how. How much God loves you. Daniel is my only son and as strained as our relationship is I love him dearly, I would wrap my arms around him in a loving embrace in a minute. I would help him out in any way that I could. Now my love for Daniel is an imperfect love, the love of a human father for a human son and as imperfect as my love for Daniel is I could never give him up for anyone, I love him too much for that. But God did! “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have ever lasting life”. That is love beyond measure, that God loved me and you so incredibly much that He would give His only Begotten son for us, it is the kind of love that confounds me, unimaginable love. You and I before coming to Christ are under the law and are cursed, “For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse”. But God having loved us gave His only begotten son, “Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us”. God loves you with a love that cannot be measured by human standards. He offers you the free gift of eternal life to all who believe, to all whose faith is in His only begotten son Jesus Christ. “Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ”, Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, confess Him as lord and you will be saved!


Mike Peek a slave of Jesus Christ

(Verses quoted in NKJV: 1 Corinthians 13:4-8, 1 John 4:8, John 15:13, John 3:16, Galatians 3:10, Galatians 3:13, Romans 5:8)