Sunday, June 6, 2021

Lord’s day, June 6, 2021

Dear Neighbor,

Darlene and I spent this past Friday walking around the bazaars of the Canton, Texas trade days. The Canton trade days are a large flea market. The organizers tout that it is the largest flea market in the world but I do not know if that is true; nonetheless, it is very large.

We really did not see anything that we wanted to purchase. It was mostly a day off from work and spending time together away from home. One of the things that we did purchase was lunch. There where many things to chose from, much of which was not very healthy, but we decided on street tacos. The shop that we selected had three choices: shredded brisket tacos, shredded chicken tacos, and bean tacos; all of the varieties were garnished with Pico de Gallo. Pico de Gallo is a mixture of peppers, onions, tomatoes and an herb called cilantro. I decided on the brisket tacos.

The shop was being run by a woman and three young people, that I assumed were her children. The youngest of which was a little girl, approximately twelve years old, with short cropped, sandy blonde hair, just above her shoulders. I cannot get this young lady out of my mind because she reminded me of our daughter when she was that age.

During the week I like to write about doctrine. Currently I am writing about the questions and answers of the Westminster Shorter Catechism. I began this a few weeks ago because I believed that I failed as a father to teach my children the way of the Lord. Our children have gone out from us; therefore, difficult, if not impossible to reach.

I read something this morning that brought me comfort. It was the story that the NASB translators titled The Rich Young Ruler. The young ruler was unwilling to leave his wealth to fallow the Lord and Jesus explained to his disciples, using a metaphor of a camel going through the eye of a needle, that the salvation of a person is impossible with people, but not impossible with God. He said, “For all things are possible with God.” (Mk 10:27, NASB)

Michael Peek
Your Servant for Jesus’ Sake