Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Destroy Idolatry

Deuteronomy 13:1-18

If a prophet or dreamer of dreams arises among you who gives you a sign or a wonder and the sign or wonder comes true, if he says, “Let us go after other gods and let us serve them,” do not listen to that prophet or dreamer of dreams. The Lord God is allowing him to perform signs and wonders to test you, to see if you will go after other gods. You are to love and serve the Lord your God only. This spokesmen shall be put to death because he has tried to seduce you from the way. All evil shall be purged from among you. Even if it is a friend or family member, if they try to seduce you to go after other gods and serve them, do not listen to them and they shall be put to death. If a city in Israel becomes seduced, then that city shall be destroyed and no booty shall be taken from it.

It is likely that the Sanhedrin used the law, given by Moses in Deuteronomy 13, to arrest Jesus and put him to death. Even today, the Jew believes that the Christian worships another god, a god that they have not known. However, Jesus did not try and seduce the sons of Israel to go after other gods, but claimed to be the Son of God. Jesus said, “I and the Father are one.” (Jn 10:30) “You know neither Me nor My Father; if you knew Me, you would know My Father also.” (Jn 8:19) And when Phillip asked to see the Father, Jesus said to him, “He who has seen Me has seen the Father.” (Jn 10:9) 

Was Jesus a prophet or dreamer of dreams, that should have been put to death, because he counseled rebellion against the Lord God or is he the Son of God? Jesus performed seven miraculous sings in the gospel according to John, which testify about him, that he is the Christ, the Son of God. Jesus said, “The works that I do in my Father’s name, these testify of me.” (Jn 10:25) The resurrection on the third day is the greatest sign of all, that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God. 

John 10:17-18
“For this reason the Father loves Me, because I lay down My life so that I may take it again. No one has taken it away from Me, but I lay it down on My own initiative. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This commandment I received from My Father.”