Sunday, March 4, 2018

What Does That Mean to Me

Dr. Duesing (Provost at Midwestern) calls seminary formal•structured•discipleship. I found that description by him of seminary very interesting because it is the reason that I am taking classes at Midwestern.

I saw a need for better evangelism outside of the church and better discipleship within the church. I am seeking the MTS rather than the M.Div. because I do not plan to pastor a church. After graduating I plan to spend the time the Lord gives me serving as a Registered Nurse, Evangelism, and Discipleship.
The examination and communication of ideas has determined the course of civilization. Theology has served in this role. Consider, for example, how it has affected the development of schools and hospitals. But theology must never become and end in itself of a source of prideful speculation. It must lead to a witness of the gospel and an appreciation for and worship of the greatness and grandeur of God.1
Eschatology is a subject in theology, it literally means last things. We were asked this past week in my systematic theology class: “How does your understanding of eschatology effect your day to day life and ministry?”

Here is a summation of the answer that I gave:
I work as a Registered Nurse in a Cardiovascular Intensive Care unit. Witnessing human suffering and death are a part of my life on a weekly basis and I can do nothing to stop the suffering and death, but Jesus Christ promised eternal life in the new heaven and new earth for all who believe in Him. Therefore, I believe that it is my job to serve people at the bedside through their suffering, preach the gospel publicly and teach those who believe all that Jesus commanded written in the word of God. 

This is how my understanding of eschatology effects my day to day life and ministry. How does it effect yours? I conclude with a poem that I composed of true Christian hope based on Romans 8:29-30, I hope that it draws your closer to the Lord.




1 Millard J. Erickson, Christian Theology, 3rd ed. (Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2013), 1090-1092.