Saturday, August 18, 2012

God Used FireProof

Just the other night I decided to watch the movie “FireProof” I hadn’t seen the movie for quite some time. I have indicated on this blog before that the Lord used that movie to bring me to repentance and faith in Jesus Christ. So before watching the movie again I spent time in prayer and asked God to reveal to me what it was in the movie that He used to bring me to repentance and faith in Jesus Christ. “So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ” (Romans 10:17); so my question was, what did I hear?

I do not want to go into detail to tell you what this movie is about, so I hope you have seen it and if you have not seen it I suggest you do, it’s an excellent movie. The movie had reached the scene where (Kirk Cameron’s character) Caleb Holt was walking a trail with his father John Holt. John Holt was sharing the law and the gospel with his son Caleb Holt. Caleb was attempting to justify himself when he realized his sinful state before God and came to repentance and faith in Jesus Christ. The next scene was at the fire house. Caleb Holt (Kirk Cameron) comes to his friend and confidant Michael Simmons (Ken Bevel) and tells him that they both now shared the same faith. Caleb and Michael begin a discussion about marriage and divorce and Michael said; “You’ve got to beg God to teach you how to be a good husband and don’t just follow your heart because your heart can be deceived, you’ve got to lead your heart!” I realized that was it, which was what God had used to bring me to the knowledge of sin, to shut my mouth, to leave me guilty before him, and to bring me to the foot of the cross. I then remembered that the line had such an effect on me that I had written it down in my phone. So I began to scroll through my phone quickly and I knew that it was on December 19th, 2009 that I had watched this movie. So I get to the bottom of the list of notes on my phone. In fact it was the very first note that I had ever put on this phone. I made a copy of it for you to see.




As you can see there are three statements, dated December 26th, 12:05 PM. I can’t tell you what a treasure it is to find this note. Three statements! I know that morning while in Sunday School I had come to repentance and faith in Jesus Christ writing down on a paper two statements, as the class was writing down goals for the coming year. I wrote:

1. I would give God complete Lordship, I would follow Jesus were ever He lead me.
2. I would love my neighbor as myself.

Given the time of the note on my phone of 12:05 I evidently wrote this note on my phone after Sunday school while sitting in the church service, three things.

1. The quote from the movie, which was what God had used to bring me to the knowledge of sin, to shut my mouth, to leave me guilty before him, and to bring me to the foot of the cross. “You’ve got to beg God to teach you how to be a good husband and don’t just follow your heart because your heart can be deceived you’ve got to lead your heart!”
2. “Good enough!” I’m not absolutely sure what I was saying here, put I’m pretty confident that I was indicating that I was not good enough.
3. “I resolve to let Jesus be the Lord of my life, everyday!”

Yes this is a beautiful gift from the Lord and a wonderful memory from the day the Lord saved me. I give you but a caveat to this. While this is a nice find and a treasure to have and keep, my faith is not in the fact that on that day I wrote these things down, my faith then and now is alone in the Son of God Jesus Christ and His work on the cross. I have one thing to say to you all, repent (turn from your sins and turn to God) and by faith alone receive Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.


Mike Peek a slave of Jesus Christ