Sunday, February 12, 2012

Why I Write this Blog

I love to talk about Jesus, He is everything to me. Each week I write down some of the things that God gives me because I can’t hold them in, I have to tell. Why do I go to church; to talk about Jesus? Why do I get together with Christian brothers; to talk about Jesus? One of the things that frustrate me the most is to get together with Christian brothers and talk about everything else but Jesus. Writing this blog has given me an avenue for doing just that; talk about my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and I am so thankful to Him for that privilege. The gospel of Jesus Christ is so incredible and so vast that we could go on for days exploring it and never exhaust all; we will never fully understand the gospel of Jesus Christ. I heard something this past week that has had an incredible impact on me and has given me so many answers and caused many more questions. Psalm 111:10 & Proverbs 9:10 both say, “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.” Wisdom is accumulated knowledge and the bible tells us that this begins with “fear of the Lord”. Why should we fear the Lord? Well the answer to that question just may surprise you. Jesus said, “And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell” (Matthew 10:28). This brings up another question in addition to the first. Why should we fear God and why hell? Again the answer may surprise you.

What would you say if I told you the reason you should fear the Lord is because He is Good? You probably think I have lost my mind about now but bear with me. In fact not only is that the reason to fear the Lord but it is the most terrifying thing in scripture. You may ask what is so terrifying about that, you probably take comfort in the Goodness of God. We all know certain people because of some of the things they do we may consider them to be a good man or woman. That is our problem, we have such a twisted way of defining what good is. You see God doesn’t just do good things; God literally is Good! All that is good comes from God anything outside of God is evil. God is Good! Why is it so terrifying that God is Good? Because we are not! That’s right; it is absolutely terrifying that God is Good because we are not. Since God is Good what is evil cannot dwell with He who is Good. Some people get angry and I have heard some question the goodness of God asking in a statement format. “If God is good how can he send people to hell?” Well my friends’ people go to hell because God is Good and we are not. The definition of Good is God; just some of the attributes of God we find in scripture are that God is righteous, God is Holy, God is just, God is merciful; all of which can be summed up in God is Good. So let us define evil; evil is the absence of God (all that is Good). So what do you have in the absence of God? Hell! Hell is the absence of God, the absence of Good. It is terrifying to know that God is Good, because we are not. He who is Good cannot dwell with the wicked, because God is Good He cannot commune with the wicked, He who is Good cannot call the wicked to Himself.

Proverbs 17:15 says, “He who justifies the wicked, and he who condemns the just, Both of them alike are an abomination to the Lord.” So if God is Good how can He allow the wicked in His presence, if God is just how does He justify the wicked. That is why I cannot stop talking about Jesus Christ, which is why I would like to tell the world about Him. Jesus bore our iniquities, all of our sin was taken upon Jesus Christ on the cross, and He bore it all, the full wrath of God for sin, the full measure to satisfy God’s anger for sin. “For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him” (2 Corinthians 5:21). God the Father treated His only begotten Son who never sinned as if He had sinned and treats us who have sinned as if we never sinned, “for the wages of sin is death” (Romans 6:23). He could do this because He is Himself God, He could die and when He was ready take His life up again as He did three days later rising from the dead defeating death proving to the world who He is. Jesus is our scapegoat, He took our place in death and we are offered as a free gift His place in life, if you are willing to except it. How do you except this free gift of everlasting life in Jesus Christ? Through repentance and Faith, Jesus said, “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand. Repent, and believe in the gospel” (Mark 1:15). So Repent and put your trust alone in Jesus Christ, following Him.


Repent and trust alone in Jesus Christ,
Mike Peek a slave of Jesus Christ