Saturday, September 18, 2010

Forgiven

(Colossians 3:13) “Make allowance for each other’s faults, and forgive anyone who offends you. Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others.”

In Matthew 18:21-35 Jesus tells us a parable about a man who owed his King Millions of dollars more that he could ever earn in a life time, the man fell down before his master and begged him, the king was filled with pity for him so he forgave his debt and the man was free to go but as soon as he left the king he found someone that owed him and he demanded repayment, when the second man couldn’t pay the first man had him thrown into prison, when the king heard about what the first man had done he became angry and threw him into prison to be tortured.

I am a forgiven child of God I haven’t done anything to deserve God’s mercy, God is merciful to me because He is merciful. When we sin we are breaking God’s laws so we are therefore sinning directly against God our Creator. Despite all that I have done sinning against my Creator in this life He has showen me undeserved and unimaginable mercy. I really had a debt that I couldn’t repay, no amount of goodness going forward, no amount of works, no amount of good deeds, no matter how many times I attended a church service nothing could erase the fact I had sinned directly against God’s Commandments. But God in His unimaginable love and mercy saved me, He sent His Son, His perfect unblemished lamb to die in my place so that all my sins are washed away and my death sentence is repealed because Jesus paid the price for my crimes, it was me that deserved the cross not Him. So since God has been so merciful to me how can I possibly be unmerciful to others? God has called us to be merciful because we have been shown such incredible mercy. I am full of such incredible joy because of what God has done for me, how can I condemn another person for offending me when God has shown me such mercy. I am urging you to forgive anyone who has hurt you, they are fallen beings living in a fallen world, and we all are.

One of the coolest passages in the bible can be found in Matthew 5 in “The Sermon on the Mount” and also in Luke 6 when Jesus talks about loving your enemies. This passage is so revealing as to who Jesus is it astounds me, no human being could ever come up with this it is so against our nature and it is so His nature. (Luke 6:27-28) “But to you who are willing to listen, I say, love your enemies! Do good to those who hate you. Bless those who curse you. Pray for those who hurt you.” All I have to say to that is wow!!! He also said (Luke 6:31) “Do to others as you would like them to do to you.” He didn’t say do to others as they do to you, He said do to others as you would like them to do to you. That’s wether they are good to you or downright evil.

If you don’t know Jesus I encourage you to get to know Him. The bible says if you will repent of your sins and put your faith in Jesus Christ you will be saved. He will give you a new heart with new desires; He will give you His Holy Spirit as a deposit for your salvation.

I hope this encourages you God Bless you,
Mike Peek